Every patient’s goal in orthodontics is to get the best result in the timeliest of fashions. In order to do this, it is important to stay away from certain foods that will cause your bands to loosen and your brackets and wires to break. Every time one of these breakages occurs, we have to take a step backward in the process, thus slowing the progress to the finish line down.
Foods to Avoid:
Sticky Foods – These foods will pull the bands loose.
- Chewing Gum
- Taffy and Gummy Bears
Hard Foods – These items will break brackets and wires and can also loosen bands.
- Hard Candy (Fireballs, Jawbreakers, Hard Mints)
- No chewing ice.
- No chewing pens and pencils.
- Do not chew fingernails.
- Cut fruits and vegetables, like apples, pears and carrots, into pieces.
- Ribs must be cut from the bone as well as corn on the cob.
- Be careful with chips, popcorn and nuts.